Wednesday 04/25 UTC
Segway Tours at Chestnut Mountain
Adventure off the beaten path this summer and discover the natural beauty of Chestnut Mountain Resort in a whole different way. We’ll guide you on one of the most exhilarating and picturesque ways to experience over 220 rolling acres of mountain terrain. Our three-mile Segway Tour lasts 75-90 minutes, includes training and is fun for the entire family!
Fall Tour Times
Weekends (Friday – Sunday) 9:30am, 1:00pm & 4pm
|75-90 minute tour ~ Please arrive ½ hour prior to scheduled tour time||$50 per person|
*Must be 14 years old and weigh between 100 and 260 pounds
Segway Tours meet at Mountainside Outfitters located in the skier services building to the left of the main lodge.
OTHER RESTRICTIONS APPLY
- A Liability Release is required for all riders. Please click here to download the form.
Clothing & Possessions
- Closed-toed shoes with laces are required. No heels, sandals, clogs, Crocs, or flip-flops. No bare feet.
- No loose clothing is permitted. Wear appropriate clothing for the weather conditions.
- No loose objects are permitted on your person. Cameras and cell phones must be secured or put away.
- Operators may not board or attempt to board Segway if he or she is under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance which impacts his or her ability to safely use the Segway and abide by the posted and oral instructions of the tour guide.
- Operators of a Segway must be considerate of fellow riders and pedestrians.
- Operators may not submerge in or otherwise expose the Segway to water.
- Operator will receive basic instruction concerning the use and operation of the Segway.
- Operators of a Segway must wear the protective helmet provided to him or her and have it fastened at all times when operating the Segway.
- Operators must obey the instructions of the tour guide.
- Operators of a Segway must be of a minimum body weight of 100 pounds and a maximum body weight of 260 pounds and have no health-related condition such as heart problems, pregnancy, broken bones, recent surgery or illness, balance disorders, or epilepsy that would prevent the safe operation of the Segway.
- Reservations are suggested at least 48 hours in advance.
- Guide gratuity is always acceptable.
- You must be at least 14 years of age.
Frequently Asked Questions
Segway Tours at Chestnut Mountain Resort are located on 220 acres with a fabulous view of the Mississippi River located in the Midwest region of northwestern Illinois.
It’s a 2-wheeled, self-balancing personal transporter. To move forward or backward on the Segway, the rider just leans slightly forward or backward. To turn left or right, the rider simply moves the LeanSteer® frame left or right. You get the sense of power and speed, yet you also feel a sense of safety and absolute control. It all feels natural, safe, and instinctive. Segway X2® is a durable off-road machine that is ready to navigate varied terrain with minimal environmental impact.
We highly recommend that you reserve your adventure in advance, as there are a limited number of Segway X2s® and tours can sell out on any given day. You can make a reservation by phone at 815.777.4668.
Our reservation line voicemail is always available, and calls will be returned promptly during operational hours, however, leaving a message does not ensure a reservation.
You will need to pay full amount at the reservation time.
As the Segway Tours can be sold out on any given day, it is vital to arrive on time for the start of your adventure (we recommend that you arrive a half hour prior to your reservation time). If you arrive late and miss your session, or cancel on the day, there are no refunds. We will attempt to put you into a later time slot if available but there is no guarantee. Arriving early allows for a relaxed start to your adventure. Factor in extra time for driving to Chestnut Mountain Resort, parking, getting to the Welcome Center, completing the necessary paperwork, visiting our retail store and making use of our facilities.
Please wear comfortable clothing that allows free movement. No open toed or open back shoes. Flat shoes are strongly recommended.
Helmets will be required and included in the tour cost. We use standard bicycle helmets. If you prefer to bring your own, it will be subject to a pass/fail inspection by our guides.
Participants must be over 14 years of age, and weigh between 100 and 260 lbs. There are no height restrictions. Guests between the ages of 14 and 15 (inclusive) must have a participating parent/guardian on the tour.
Whenever you are able to have to this much fun, there is always paperwork to fill out. All participants must complete a Release of Liability prior to beginning the adventure. A signature from a parent/guardian is required for all participants under 18 years of age. If a minor is coming to Chestnut Mountain Resort without a parent/guardian, the liability release must be signed and notarized. Liability releases can be downloaded from the website.
Yes you can! Each Segway has a travel pouch to carry your equipment. The tour will make stops to provide you with photo and video opportunities. The Mountainside Outfitter retail shop offers GoPro video cameras with helmet mounts.
No. Each Segway X2 is equipped with a travel pouch to carry small items. Any pack that you may wear or strap on yourself could interfere with your balance and the Segway operation.
You will receive a safety briefing and training from one of our Segway Guides before you begin. The Segway Guide will accompany you on the tour to ensure that you are operating the equipment properly and safely, guide you around the resort property and highlight points of interest.
The tour is comprised of a 15-minute training video, followed by a demonstration of the Segway operation and about a half hour of hands-on driver training. This is followed by one hour of pure fun as you transport yourself around Chestnut Mountain.
We will not operate the Segway Tour in extreme weather conditions; moderate weather conditions do not affect operations. Our Mountainside Outfitters Staff will contact you if we have advanced notice of extreme weather and need to reschedule. If the weather is marginal, please call us for a status update. Do not assume we have cancelled the tour if you have bad weather where you are, we may have sunny skies!
You can cancel your Segway Tour by calling the Mountainside Outfitters reservation line at 815.777.4668. The policy reads:
Cancellation 48 hours or more prior to Adventure – Full Refund.
Cancellation less than 48 hours prior to Adventure – Chestnut Gift Card for amount.
No call cancellation or no show- Loss of Payment.
Sometimes, unfortunately, we might need to close the course for reasons beyond our control. If you have already started the course you will not be entitled to any refund (in part or in whole). We will do our best to offer alternative dates or times at reduced rates.
Dogs are welcome at Chestnut Mountain Resort but must be supervised and remain on the leash at all times. You must clean up after your dog while on resort property. Unfortunately, dogs are not allowed on the Segway tour for safety reasons.